Motoring Cost Guidelines
Where a guilty plea is to be entered in a matter to be heard in the Magistrates Court, our costs are, in the vast majority of cases, going to range from between £700 and £1,000 depending upon the precise nature of the offence and its particular circumstances.
The example outlined below is in relation to a drink driving offence where a guilty plea is entered however, given the nature of the prosecution of similar offences, the costs outlined below are likely to be relevant to most offences where the case is to be heard in the Magistrates Court.
Offence: Drink driving
When dealing with such a matter, the work would usually involve the following:
- An initial meeting with your solicitor to provide instructions on what happened.
- Consideration will be given by your solicitor to the initial disclosure, and any other evidence before advice will be provided upon this.
- It may be that Witness Statements will need to be obtained from third parties in order to support your case. These third parties will need to be interviewed by your solicitor and Witness Statements will be prepared.
- Your solicitor will explain the Court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your Hearing and the sentencing options available to the Court.
- Your solicitor will conduct any further preparatory work, obtain further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- Your solicitor will not be able to provide a precise timescale of when your Hearing will take place as this depends on the Court listing for that day.
- Your solicitor will attend Court on the day and meet with you before going before the Court. Ordinarily we would hope that your attendance at Court will take around half a day, however, longer may be required depending upon the Court’s listing.
- Your solicitor will discuss the outcome with you and provide details of your next steps.
The above fee estimate includes:
- 2 hours attendance and preparation in order to:
- Instruction of any expert witnesses
- Taking statements from any witnesses, an additional charge of £250 per Witness Statement (to include an interview of the witness and preparation of the statement) will be applied to the base estimate
- Advice and assistance in relation to a special reasons or exceptional hardship Hearing
- Advice or assistance in relation to any appeal
- Travel expenses
Letter of Mitigation
Some of our clients choose to plead guilty by post and accordingly do not require an attendance at Court but instead seek to send to the Court a Letter of Mitigation offering mitigating circumstances to the Court.
A Letter of Mitigation is something we can assist you with. This would involve your solicitor meeting with you in order to obtain the necessary details. The costs for the preparation of the Letter of Mitigation will usually range from £200 to £350 plus VAT.